Thursday, August 21, 2014

Senior Judge



I have been “retired” now for several weeks.  I used quotation marks, as I have worked about half time since my official retirement date.  Governor Dayton has not named a replacement for the judgeship chambered in Sibley County, and I have agreed to help out as I can until the new judge can take over.  Also, I was assigned to a case in Dakota County that was to have been tried in March, but for several reasons, could not be until the end of July.  So, I have been pretty busy, doing what I had been doing the last 26 years! 

I am doing this work as a “Senior Judge”.  When I retired, I applied to the Minnesota Supreme Court to continue to work on a temporary and an as-needed basis as a retired judge.  The Chief Justice approved my application, and I am now on a list of senior judges statewide who may be called to help out when needed in a particular county.

There are several reasons why a Senior Judge may be needed:  To fill in after a judge retires and a new one is appointed is the obvious one for me now.  When I was working on the Supreme Court Technology Committee, helping with the computerized case management project in the late 90’s and into the ‘00’s, I was away from the bench for two or more days a week working on that project.   A retired judge came in and served in Court in my place so that I could help out on that important project.  Sometimes, a judge becomes quite ill and needs significant time away to recover.  In those cases, a retired judge can fill in.

Rarely, there is a case that is so sensitive that all the judges in a district have a conflict.  In those situations, a retired judge can be asked to handle a particular case. 

I am happy to help out while I can, but am a little anxious to really find out what this retirement life is all about.  I had submitted my notice of retirement to the Governor’s office well in advance, and was hopeful that my successor would be named prior to my official retirement date.  But, I am not privy to the Governor’s schedule or his priorities, and I’m sure there are good reasons that my successor has not yet been named.  However, I know I am not the only person who is anxious to find out who the new judge chambered in Sibley County will be!