Thursday, September 18, 2014

So, How's Retirement?



If you have asked me that question in the last several weeks, you have probably heard me say something like, “If I were charged with Retirement, there would not be enough evidence to convict.”

Yes, the Governor has been pretty slow in naming my replacement.  When I told Patty several weeks ago that it would probably be a month before he would interview the finalists for the position, she said, “WHAT?  Doesn’t he know you have a porch to paint?!?”

I’ve also joked that the only ones happy about this situation are the walleyes in Rice Lake!

I have been working a bit more than half time, covering most calendars in Sibley County and trying to finish up a difficult case that I had tried before my formal retirement. 

This week, however, the new judge has been named:  Timothy Looby, attorney from Waconia.  Judge designate Looby has been a practicing law for a long time – he and I were on opposite sides of cases before I became a judge!  When I called to congratulate him, I learned he is most excited to begin this next stage in his career and will do so as soon as he wraps up his practice, in about six weeks.  I know that Tim will do an excellent job as a District Court Judge chambered in Sibley County.

When Judge Looby settles in as the full time judge in Gaylord, it will mean that I REALLY will be retired!  Up to now, I’ve been going to the same office I used for the last 25 years – though it is missing the photos and other personal effects that I had taken home prior to my official retirement date.  In just a few weeks, Tim’s photos and personal effects will adorn the walls and desk of that office.  If I am called on to fill in on occasion in Sibley County, I’ll use the visiting judge’s office.

When that happens, it will become real.  One chapter of my life will close and another will open.  It has been said that the only constant in our lives is change.  And that the only one who really likes change is a baby with a dirty diaper.

But we all adapt, every day, to the changes that happen in our lives.  No doubt, I’ll adapt as well.

In fact, I’m looking forward to trying! 

And, just maybe, getting that porch painted!